Tenth Far Eastern Games 1934 (Manila)

Results | Additional Match Details | Squads | Additional Trivia


NB: all matches (2x35 minutes) at (José) Rizal Memorial Stadium.

12- 5-1934 Philippines       0-2 China
             [Tam Kong-pak 38, Lee Wai-tong 65; half-time: 0-0;
              ref: Manuel Amechazurra (Philippines); att: 40,000]
13- 5-1934 Dutch East Indies 7-1 Japan
             [Jahn 16, 50, 65, Hong Djien 27, Hian Goan 37, 56, 58;
              Taizo Kawamoto 42; half-time: 2-0; ref: Eduardo Rodriguez
              (Philippines); att: 30,000]
14- 5-1934 China             2-0 Dutch East Indies
             [Tso Kwai-shing 38, Tam Kong-pak 57; half-time: 0-0;
              att: 12,000; ref: Hickey]
15- 5-1934 Philippines       3-4 Japan
             [Heredia 1, 15, Miranda 14; Taizo Kawamoto 30, Ichiji Otani 37,
              Shoichi Nishimura 42, Akira Nozawa 57; half-time: 3-1;
              ref: Eduardo Rodriguez (Philippines)]
19- 5-1934 Philippines       3-2 Dutch East Indies
             [F. Gutierrez 1-2, Heredia 2-2, Azaola 3-2; Lontoh 0-1, 0-2;
              half-time: 1-2]
20- 5-1934 China             4-3 Japan
             [Tam Kong-pak 6, 11, Lee Wai-tong 55, 66pen; Akira Nozawa 50, 62,
              Takeshi Natori 64; half-time 2-0]

NB: on 17 May, all scheduled events were postponed due to heavy rain.

 1.China                 3  3  0  0  8- 3  6
 2.Dutch East Indies     3  1  0  2  9- 6  2  (goal average 1.50)
 3.Philippines           3  1  0  2  6- 8  2  (goal average 0.75)
 4.Japan                 3  1  0  2  8-14  2  (goal average 0.71)

NB: teams ranked according to contemporary tie-breaker (goal average); as
    only gold medals were awarded, no play-off to separate the remaining
    three teams was necessary.

Additional Match Details

12- 5-1934 Philippines       0-2 China
             [Tam Kong-pak 38, Lee Wai-tong 65; half-time: 0-0;
              ref: Manuel Amechazurra (Philippines); att: 40,000]
  [China: Wong Kee-liang; Lee Tin-sang, Lau Mau; Leung Wing-chiu, Wong Mei-shun,
     Lee Kwok-tai (Ho Chor-yin (Chan Chun-cheung)); Tso Kwai-tsing, Tam Kong-pak,
     Fung King-cheong, Lee Wai-tong, Ip Pak-wah;
   Philippines: Villanueva; De Guzmán, Suárez; Gradinzky (Alegre), Lacson,
     Pacheco; Ugarte (Sotelo), Miranda, Ortigas, Heredia, Gutierrez]
Following a 2-hour Games opening ceremony at the newly constructed Rizal Sports Complex the two old rivals matched up. The first period ended goalless but the Chinese team was narrowly the better side, Villanueva was called upon to make several good saves. Wong Kee-liang, however, made the save of the match diving at the feet of Miranda following a brilliant piece of combination play by the Philippines rightwing pair. Unfortunately, this pair suffered when Ugarte broke his arm and had to be replaced.
The second half started with both sides coming close in the opening minutes, three minutes into the half Tam Kong-pak spectacularly headed in Ip Pak-wah's cross giving China the lead. The Philippines frustration became obvious and they became more aggressive, the 'home town' referee a former Barcelona professional allowed some brutal fouls to go unpunished. Wong Mei-shun and Lee Wai-tong were particularly roughly treated without censure. Finally, in the 5th minute Lee Kwok-tai was hacked down and had to be replaced by Ho Chor-yin. Amechazurra also failed to award China a penalty when Guzman clearly handled.
A quarter of an hour into the half The Philippines scored through Miranda, but Sotelo's assist pass was played after the ball had crossed the touchline and was out of play. The referee, for once, decided against the home team, who surrounded him protesting vehemently and for a while it looked like the game would be halted.
Order was restored, and after 65 minutes Lau Mau cleared to Lee Wai-tong who played a beautiful one-two with Fung King-cheong and shot, Philippines half-back Pacheco attempting to block only succeeded in diverting it past his 'keeper.
From then on the Chinese relied on keeping the ball and evading the Philippines attempts to kick them. With 5 minutes to go, Ho Chor-yin, following a nasty kick complained of chest pains and was replaced by Chan Chun-cheung. Fortunately, Ho was happily diagnosed later as indigestion. Gradinzky (broken ankle) was replaced by Alegre.
According to newspaper reports, the pitch was a battlefield, with 4 Chinese players carried off injured, and 2 players of the hosts suffering fractures; after seeing this match, both Japan and the Dutch East Indies filed protests with the organizing committee.
13- 5-1934 Dutch East Indies 7-1 Japan
             [Jahn 16, 50, 65, Hong Djien 27, Hian Goan 37, 56, 58;
              Taizo Kawamoto 42; half-time: 2-0; ref: Eduardo Rodriguez
              (Philippines); att: 30,000]
  [Dutch East Indies: De Wolf; Denkelaar, Chin Hoat; Baumgarten, 
     F. Meeng, Hong Djien; Onong, Tetalepta, Hian Goan, Jahn, Kek Boo;
   Japan: Shun'ichi Kumai (Hiroshi Kanazawa 68); Yukio Goto Utsubo (c),
     Teruo Abe; Takashi Kawanishi (Shiro Misaki 66), Teiichi Matsumaru,
     Motoo Tatsuhara, Ichiji Otani, Shoichi Nishimura, Taizo Kawamoto,    
     Akira Nozawa, Akira Nozawa]
The physically powerful DEI players overwhelmed the smaller Japanese team, after 16 minutes Jahn took a pass from Hong Djien and scored with a thunderous cross-shot. Hong Djien who was the best man on the field added a second goal. Any Japanese attacks were repelled by the stronger Indes.
DEI domination continued in the second half, Hian Goan scored a third. Japan's best player was Matsumaru and his pass set up Kawamoto's goal. From a corner Jahn headed a brilliant goal, Hian Goan added another with a cannonball shot. The Japanese although well beaten had some good moments and impressed with their speed but were let down by poor finishing.
14- 5-1934 China             2-0 Dutch East Indies
             [Tso Kwai-shing 38, Tam Kong-pak 57; half-time: 0-0;
              att: 12,000; ref: Hickey]
  [China: Wong Kee-liang; Lee Tin-sang, Lau Mau; Wong Mei-shun, Ho Chor-yin,
     Lee Kwok-tai; Tso Kwai-tsing, Tam Kong-pak, Fung King-cheong, Lee Wai-tong, 
     Ip Pak-wah;
   Dutch East Indies: De Wolf; Denkelaar, Chin Hoat; Baumgarten, F. Meeng
     (Amrein), Hong Djien; Onong, Tetalepta, Hian Goan, Jahn, Kek Boo]
The DEI buoyed by their crushing victory over Japan put the Chinese under a lot of pressure and goalkeeper Wong Kee-liang and his defenders had to be at their best. It was China, however, who had the first chance. After 5 minutes a breakaway Chinese attack and Fung King-cheong headed towards goal on the way it struck Denkelaar on the hand and the ref awarded a penalty. Lee Wai-tong took the kick and De Wolf diving the wrong way managed to save with his foot. Ten minutes passed and the DEI had their chance, Lau Mau tripped Tetalepta in the area, but Jahn failed to take the chance, deliberately shooting wide in a 'Corinthian Spirit' contempt for penalties.
Early in the second half China took the lead by Tso Kwai-tsing, running onto Wong Mei-shun's long through ball to score. The match flowed from end to end until the 57th minute when Tso Kwai-tsing and Lee Wai-tong (who both had played club football on Java, Lee Wai-tong at U.M.S., the leading Chinese club from Batavia, and Tso Kwai-tsing at Tiong Hoa, its Soerabaja counterparts) combined and the winger's cross was netted by Tam Kong-pak. With nearly a quarter of an hour to go heavy rain fell as both teams attacked with gusto but without further goals.
15- 5-1934 Philippines       3-4 Japan
             [Heredia 1, 15, Miranda 14; Taizo Kawamoto 30, Ichiji Otani 37,
              Shoichi Nishimura 42, Akira Nozawa 57; half-time: 3-1;
              ref: Eduardo Rodriguez (Philippines)]
  [Philippines: Villanueva; De Guzmán, Suárez; Alegre, Lacson, Pacheco
     (Hernandez 55); Sotelo, Miranda, Ortigas, Heredia, Gutierrez;
   Japan: Hiroshi Kanazawa (Yasuo Suzuki 68); Tadao Horie, Takashi Kawanishi;
     Teiichi Matsumaru (Shiro Misaki 15), Tokutaro Ukon. Ichiji Otani,
     Shoichi Nishimura, Taizo Kawamoto, Akira Nozawa, Akira Nozawa, Teruo Abe]
Fighting with a spirit of determination, the Japan eleven created the biggest upset in the Far Eastern championship by defeating Philippines 4-3, the defeat marked the second straight setback suffered by the locals.
Philippines began brightly, Heredia, scoring the first goal after one minute. Japan responded their short snappy passing down the wings kept Philippines. full-backs busy as the game flowed from end to end.
After fifteen minutes, the locals further increased their lead when Miranda, receiving a pass from Sotelo, scored the second, then Heredia again netted the third tally. Philippines showed their marked superiority in passing the ball. They ran rings round the Japan area time and again. But the brilliant saves of Kanagawa prevented a rout.
A few minutes before the first half ended, the Japanese attacked Nazawa, dribbled into the area from the right wing and shot Villanueva, local custodian had the shot covered. But before he could collect the ball the two Philippine fullbacks, Guzman and Suarez, panicked and blocked him. A scrimmage ensued in front of the goal and Kawamoto rolled the ball slowly into the net while Villanueva tried his best for a clearance from a forest of legs. The first half ended with the count at 3-1 with the local boys on top.
The second canto saw the Japanese fighting hard. They showed clever footwork and passed beautifully along the wing which were interesting to watch. After a series of close attempts, Otani, scored a second goal. A few minutes later, Nishimura, slammed in in a shot to tie the score at 3-all.
At this point, the Japanese had the match well under control, while the Philippine forwards performeded miserably. Resorting to their short snappy passing tactics, the visitors forced the play mostly in the Philippines area.
With but 15 more minutes to go, coach Calvo substituted Hernandez for Pacheco for the left half back position. The change did, some good as the locals aided by the well-timed passing of Hernandez staged a wonderful rally and bombarded the Japanese goal time and again.
The Japanese played great football and deserved to win. Receiving a well timed pass from a team mate, Nozawa, drove a shot from center but Villanueva made a brilliant save.
A few minutes before the game ended, Nozawa redeemed himself by scoring the winning goal. At this juncture, the locals launched a hot attack but all attempts to score the equalizer prove to no avail as they found the Japanese defense too solid.
19- 5-1934 Philippines       3-2 Dutch East Indies
             [F. Gutierrez 1-2, Heredia 2-2, Azaola 3-2; Lontoh 0-1, 0-2;
              half-time: 1-2]
  [Philippines: Bacsal; De Guzmán, Suárez; Alegre, Lacson, Pacheco; Sotelo,
     Miranda, Ortigas, Heredia, Gutierrez; Azaola came on as sub;
   Dutch East Indies: De Wolf; Denkelaar, Chin Hoat; Asmoeadji, Amrein, 
     Hong Djien; Onong, Baumgarten, Hian Goan, Lontoh, Kek Boo]
This match had originally been fixtured for the 18th but was postponed by one day because all sports events scheduled for the 17th had been called off due to heavy rain. (Likewise, the final match between China and Japan was moved from the 19th to the 20th.)
Lontoh scored twice within the first ten minutes to give the visitors an early 2-0 lead. Afterwards the Java side indulged in gallery play and allowed to the hosts to salvage some pride with a remarkable turn around, albeit, according to the Java newspapers, with the help of several mistakes by De Wolf and the Philippine referee, who among other contentious decisions favouring his countrymen failed to disallow one of their goals for offside.
20- 5-1934 China             4-3 Japan
             [Tam Kong-pak 6, 11, Lee Wai-tong 55, 66pen; Akira Nozawa 50, 62,
              Takeshi Natori 64; half-time 2-0; sent off: Lee Tin-sang (60)]
  [China: Wong Kee-liang; Lee Tin-sang, Lau Mau; Leung Wing Chiu, Wong Mei-shun
     (Chan Chun-cheung 50), Lee Kwok-tai; Tso Kwai-tsing, Tam Kong-pak, 
     Fung King-cheong, Lee Wai-tong, Tay Kwee-liang;
   Japan: Shun'ichi Kumai; Yukio Goto Utsubo (c), Tadao Horie; Shiro Misaki, 
     Teiichi Matsumaru (Motoo Tatsuhara 65), Tokutaro Ukon; Ichiji Otani, 
     Takeshi Natori, Taizo Kawamoto, Akira Nozawa, Hideo Sakai (Takashi Kawanishi 30)]
After the September 18 Incident in 1931, the three eastern provinces of China were occupied by Japan by force. The football matchup between China and Japan has also been cast as a sense of hatred for the country. China was also still aggrieved by the unsatisfactory conclusion of the previous tournament when the two shared first place after Japan refused to play extra-time. This time they were determined to finish the job.
They started attacking furiously forcing the Japanese to defend desperately. After only five minutes Leung Wing Chiu crossed and Tam Kong-pak headed in the first goal. Minutes later Goto under pressure from Lee Wai-tong handled the ball. The Chinese legend who had missed a penalty in the last game, took the kick, and missed again his soft shot was saved easily by Kumai.
Just as Japan started to feel their luck was changing China won a corner, the clearance fell to Lee Wai-tong who crossed and Tam Kong-pak again scored with his head. Instead of folding the Japanese became more adventurous and attacked furiously with great speed, but their finishing let them down and the half ended with China leading 2-0.
Fifteen minutes into the second half, Wong Mei-shun was injured and was replaced by Chan Chun-cheung, and soon after Nozawa pulled one back for Japan. Their joy didn't last long Lee Wai-tong scored with a powerful left footed shot. Again the goal seemed to spur on the Japanese, Wong Kee-liang was kept busy. Lee Tin-sang made a rash tackle and was sent-off, now the Chinese looked shaky as the opposition piled on the pressure, Nozawa again netted after 62 minutes and then Natori equalized two minutes later.
The final minutes saw a tense battle of attack and counter-attack. Tay Kwee-liang was tripped. Another China penalty, up stood Lee Wai-tong, under tremendous pressure. And scored. Years later, when Li Huitang recalled his playing career, he said that the penalty scored against the Japanese team was the most important goal in his life. China was the undisputed champions.


China [Wade Giles / Pin Yin / Mandarin]
GK Wong Kee-liang    / Huang Jiliang    / Huang Chi Liang    (Nan Hua)
GK Zee Hang          / Xu Heng          / Tsui Hang          (Jinan University / Chiinan Ta Hsueh)
   Lee Tin-sang      / Li Tiensheng     / Li Tienshing       (Nan Hua)
   Lau Mau           / Liu Mao          / Liu Mao            (Nan Hua)
   Leung Wing-chiu   / Liang Xianzan    / Liang Tsien Tsan   (Nan Hua)
   Wong Mei-shun     / Huang Meishun    / Huang Mei Shun     (Nan Hua)
   Lee Kwok-tai      / Li Guowei        / Li Kuo Wei         (Nan Hua)
   Tay Kwee-liang    / Zheng Jiliang    / Cheng Chi Liang    (Nan Hua)
   Tam Kong-pak      / Tan Jiangbai     / T'an Chiang Pai    (Nan Hua)
   Ip Pak-wah        / Ye Beihua        / Yeh Peh Hua        (Nan Hua)
   Fung King-cheong  / Feng Jingxiang   / Feng Ching Hsiang  (Jinan University / Chiinan Ta Hsueh)
FW Tso Kwai-shing    / Gao Gui cheng    / Ts'ao Kuei Ch'eng  (Chung Hua / Zhonghua)
   Ho Chor-yin       / He Zuoxian       / Ho Zuo hsien       (Chung Hua / Zhonghua)
   Chan Ka-kum       / Chen Jia qiu     / Chen Chia Chiu     (Three Cultures Shanghai / You you)
   Lee Nien          / Li Ning          / Li Ning            (Tung Hwa / Donghua)
   Chan Chun-cheung  / Chen Zhenxiang   / Chen Tsen Cheung   (Tung Hwa / Donghua)
FW Lee Wai-tong      / Li Huitang       / Li Hui T'ang       (Tung Hwa / Donghua)
NB: Wong Kee-liang also known by his nickname "Wong Wing";
    Tso Kwai-shing had played for Tiong Hoa of Soerabaja until February 1934
    before returning to Hong Kong to be able to represent China at the Games.

Dutch East Indies
GK Henri de Wolf             (U.N.I., Bandoeng)
GK Tjan Hing Kie             (Union, Semarang)
DF Ellis Denkelaar           (Oliveo, Batavia) (c)
DF Tan Chin Hoat             (Tiong Hoa, Soerabaja)
MF Lou Baumgarten            (H.B.S., Soerabaja)
MF Frans Meeng               (S.V.B.B., Batavia)
MF Alois Amrein              (U.N.I., Bandoeng)
MF Asmoeadji                 (U.N.I., Bandoeng)
FW Raden Onong Noeman        (S.V.B.B., Batavia)
FW A. Tetalepta              (S.V.J.A., Batavia)
FW Ludwich "Loed" Jahn       (Hercules, Batavia)
FW Suwu Lontoh               (Velocitas, Tjimahi)
FW Thio Kek Boo              (U.M.S., Batavia)
FW The Hong Djien            (Tiong Hoa, Soerabaja)
FW Tio Hian Goan             (Tiong Hoa, Soerabaja)
team leader: Weiss

GK Shun'ichi Kumai           (Waseda University / Wasedadaigaku)
GK Hiroshi Kanazawa          (Kyoto Imperial University / Kyoototeikokudaigaku)
DF Tadao Horie               (Waseda University / Wasedadaigaku)
DF Yukio Goto Utsubo         (Kwangsei Gakuin University / Kangakukurabu)
DF Teruo Abe                 (Kwangsei Gakuin University / Kangakukurabu)
DF Yasuo Suzuki              (Waseda University / Wasedadaigaku)
MF Takashi Kawanishi         (Kwansei Gakuin University / Kanseigakuindaigaku)
MF Teiichi Matsumaru         (Keio BRB)
MF Motoo Tatsuhara           (Waseda University / Wasedadaigaku)
MF Shiro Misaki              (Kwansei Gakuin University / Kanseigakuindaigaku)
MF Tokutaro Ukon             (Keio University / Keiogifukudaigaku) 
FW Hideo Sakai               (Kwangsei Gakuin University / Kangakukurabu)
FW Akira Nozawa              (Waseda University / Wasedadaigaku)
FW Taizo Kawamoto            (Waseda University / Wasedadaigaku)
FW Ichiji Otani              (Kobe University of Commerce / Kobeshogudaigaku)
FW Shoichi Nishimura         (Kwangsei Gakuin University / Kangakukurabu)
FW Takeshi Natori            (Waseda University / Wasedadaigaku)

GK Antonio Villanueva        (Santo Tomas)
GK Santos Bacsal             (San Beda)
DF Cirilo De Guzmán          (San Beda)
DF Walter Short Toehl        (De la Salle AC)
DF Jesús Suárez              (University of the Philippines)
MF Joaquín "Quinito" Ortigas (De la Salle AC)
MF Arsenio H. Lacson         (Santo Tomas)   
MF Ramón Alegre              (De la Salle AC)
MF Carlos Gradinzky          (San Beda)
MF José Marie Hernández      (Ateneo)
MF Antonio Pacheco           (Letran)
MF Emilio Heredia            (Santo Tomas)
FW Francisco Gutierrez       (Santo Tomas)
FW José Miranda              (San Beda)
FW Sebastian Ugarte          (De la Salle AC)
FW Luis Sotelo               (Santo Tomas)
FW Manuel Azaola             (San Beda)
   Antonio Sobral            (De la Salle AC)
coach: Dionisio "Chito" Calvo

Additional Squad Info Dutch East Indies

The Dutch East Indies team was an official selection of the N.I.V.B.,
F.I.F.A. members for the territory; all players came from Java (as all
regional member federations of the N.I.V.B. were from Java).  Players
were required to have been born in the Dutch East Indies.

Squad list (15 players; names of intended reserves in italics):

GK: Henri de Wolf (U.N.I., Bandoeng), Tjan Hing Kie (Union, Semarang);
DF: Ellis Denkelaar (Oliveo, Batavia; captain), Tan Chin Hoat (Tiong Hoa, Soerabaja);
MF: Lou Baumgarten (H.B.S., Soerabaja), Frans Meeng (S.V.B.B., Batavia),
    Alois Amrein (U.N.I., Bandoeng), Asmoeadji (U.N.I., Bandoeng);
FW: Rd. Onong Noeman (S.V.B.B., Batavia), A. Tetalepta (S.V.J.A., Batavia),
    Ludwich "Loed" Jahn (Hercules, Batavia), Suwu Lontoh (Velocitas, Tjimahi),
    Thio Kek Boo (U.M.S., Batavia), The Hong Djien (Tiong Hoa, Soerabaja),
    Tio Hian Goan (Tiong Hoa, Soerabaja).

The squad included 6 "European", 5 Chinese and 4 "native" players; five other 
players were part of the provisional squad of 20 players chosen after the 
test match between West Java and East Java in Solo (on 8 Apr 1934, West Java 
won 3-2; there had been a number of other test matches since the end of March
to select the best players) but eventually were not included in the squad
making the trip after further training in Tjimahi: 
  DF: Wim Röhrig (H.B.S., Soerabaja);
  MF: P. Caumans (M.O.T., Semarang), Achmad Nawir (H.B.S., Soerabaja);
  FW: Cor Goyers (U.N.I., Bandoeng), Johannes (Solo).

Additional Trivia

As a result of their showing, the N.I.V.B. were invited to participate in the 1935 Philippines Championship.

Among the 8 available team gold medals (awarded by sports categories) at the 1934 Games, Japan won 4 (athletics, cycling, swimming and tennis), the Philippines 3 (baseball, basketball and volleyball) and China 1 (football, see above).

1936 Olympics:
Tio Hian Goan (Tio Hiang-guan in Wade Gilles transcription) was part of the 1936 Olympic squad of China, but he did not play in the only match China contested at the Games; Chan Chen-wo, born in Batavia but playing for Chinese AA in Hongkong, did.

1938 World Cup:
Frans Meeng, Hong Djien and Nawir were part of the Dutch East Indies squad for the 1938 World Cup and all three played against Hungary, Nawir as captain.

Tan Chin Hoat was the father of Tan Liong Houw, who was a fixture in the line-up of the Indonesian team in the fifties, making his debut at the 1951 Asian Games, playing in the first official match for Indonesia on 5 March 1951.



About this document

Sources included: [Kni 91], [Oli 92], Tribuna, American Cablenews and Vanguardia (Philippines newspapers), South China Morning Post, North China Herald (Chinese newspapers), Bataviaasch Nieuwsblad, Het nieuws van den dag voor Nederlandsch-Indië, De koerier, De Locomotief, De Indische courant, Soerabaiasch handelsblad (Dutch East Indies newspapers), The Straits Times (Singapore newspaper), The Philippine Football Golden Jubilee Yearbook, JFA, Playback of a Memorable Game (an article on the former website of the PFF which is inaccurate in several respects: for each of the three matches of the Philippines, it lists an incorrect result!), http://www.japannationalfootballteam.com/

Thanks to Eric Villante for the reference to the article on the former PFF website and to Neil Morrison

Prepared and maintained by Ken Knight and Karel Stokkermans for the Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation

Authors: Ken Knight and Karel Stokkermans
Last updated: 12 Jul 2022

(C) Copyright Ken Knight, Karel Stokkermans and RSSSF 1999/2022
You are free to copy this document in whole or part provided that proper acknowledgement is given to the authors. All rights reserved.